Saturday, May 13, 2006

Street Fighting Man

Browsing the silk scarfs and bags and such in one of the Lao craft stores, I come across a framed picture of a Lao woman (presumably the store owner) and a fellow that looks a lot like Mick Jagger. The picture sits on a shelf and looks very much out of place.

Funny, I think, and remember just then that a little over a week ago, as I was strolling up to Wat Phu Champasak in Souther Lao... you know, to catch it at sunset... that I strolled past a dude who looked kind of like Mick Jagger, too. I remember doing a double-take, then thinking to myself... "man, that dude looked like Mick Jaggar, except older, and skinnier, and more haggard." Then I didn't think anything more of it... not that afternoon, or since.

So anyway, I'm in this store, and I ask the young lady who is tidying up and straightening all the items hanging on display.

"Excuse me, miss. Is this Mick Jagger in this picture? With the owner?"
"Yes, he here 2 years ago and we all took picture," she says.
"Huh, that's weird," I say, "I mean, not weird that he was here, but..."
"He also here yesterday," she says.
"Mick Jagger was in this store yesterday?" I ask, my face all twisted.
"Yes, he come back and bought many many things,"
"Holy crap! That was Mick Jagger I saw..."
"You saw Mick Jagger here?" she asks, now interested in the conversation.
"No, no... I mean, I saw him about a week ago in Champasak."
"Ahhh... maybe. He here in Laos on vacation with his girlfriend," she continues, "Did you see his girlfriend?"
"Yeah... there was a lady with him," I recall.
"She was very big?"
"Yeah... she was pretty tall," I recall again.
"And very ugly, yes?"
"Well... uh... I don't really remember, but I don't remember her as very beautiful," I say.
"Yes... she was tall and ugly," she says with a completely straight face.
"Okay, okay," I laugh.
"And he had body guard with him?" she asks.
"There was one other guy with them, I remember that."
"Yes, the body guard." She affirms.
"Holy crap... I can't believe it." I laugh.
"Did you get picture with Mick?" she asks.
"No... I didn't even think it was him." I reply.
"That too bad."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Keith Richards fell out of a palm tree in Fiji a few weeks back and has been nursing brain injuries in a hospital in Auckland ever since. Maybe Mick was on his way back from visiting his band-mate?? There are rumors that his injuries are quite serious, that there was brain surgery involved and that he may suffer permanent brain damage. I wonder if the damage is due to the fall or all the partying he has done in his day?? When I saw the Stones last fall they both looked awful, so your description seems right on!

TO said...

wow... had no idea about Keith Richards. that fall of his couldn't have done too much damage to his heroine riddled brain. maybe it'll be like when a donkey kicks your cross-eyed cousin and uncrosses her eyes. Either way, hopefully Keith recovers to resume his rare form.