Sunday, May 21, 2006

I'm looking for a book - Part 2

I've got to thank Anonymous Commenter No.3 today. For the last 5 days, as I've been consumed by Jeff Eugenides' Middlesex, I've been silently thanking whoever suggested the title.

If anyone out there hasn't read this book... you should. Right off, I can think of so many friends who'd love the book... Ms. MyLastName, Ms. Reuling, Cooler-than-he-knows brother, Starving-artist brother, Ainge, Weed, Spunch, BC ex-girlfriend, Popo, Deuce, DA-Richard, DA-Karen, Dad, Delaney, Abs, Franny, Aurora... most everyone I know.

I grabbed it off the shelf of a book exchange because the title sounded vaguely familiar (I didn't have my journal with me with its last page listing books, movies and music I needed to check-out), but mostly I saw the gold emblem on the cover proclaiming "Winner of the Pulitzer Prize." So, I exchanged one Pulitzer Prize winner, All The King's Men - which incidentally is also an incredible read (thanks Popo), for another Pulitzer winner. A free swap.

Of note, my writer friend Jess was right. There are so many secondhand book stores in SE Asian cities, there's no need to bring more than your first travel-read if you're headed here.

So anyway, at 1:30am last night I finished Middlesex, and with the satisfaction of closing a book for the last time, I also couldn't help but feel like I was parting ways with a real person - Cal, the narrator. The fictional autobiography - yes it's about a hermaphrodite - is so charming, heartfelt, painful, astounding, and often hilarious... it's hard to believe Cal is a figment of Eugenides' imagination. It's really good.

So now I'm hunting for my next book, journal in tow this time, thinking I might go non-fiction for this one. Anyone have more suggestions? Keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I've been kind of afraid to read Middlesex because the Weddell women voiced some concern about some portrayal of gender (duh), but given who the Weddell women are, you can bet yer a*s that their critique is overly esoteric and smart, so perhaps I ought to cave and decide for myself. Recommendations
Nonfiction--Under the banner of Heaven by Jon Krakaur: for a DARK look at Fundamentalist LDS folk and religion in general
Fiction--Bel Canto, by Ann Patchett: South American terrorists infilter their Vice President's party for a powerful Japanese business and take hostages from all corners of the globe, including a world famous opera singer. WHen the terrorists' plan goes awry, the hostages and terrorists find unusual friendship and music in the realm of "captivity."
See you SOON!

TO said...

Middlesex has absolutely nothing to do with portrayals of gender... I have no idea what those crazy Weddells are reading?