Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Addendum: Reasons why...

So of course I don't remember these while typing up the original Reasons Why

I could live in Singapore:

9. Ketchup. Yes, I did say ketchup. They've got the good stuff in the Lion City. My fellow ketchup lovers, until you've tasted the vile impersonators they serve along side fries/chips in many foreign countries... well, you just wouldn't understand. At least in New Zealand they call it by a different name, tom-a-toe sauce, because... well... it is a different condiment all together. Some countries - Fiji, Thailand, and Samoa for instance - call it by the name ketchup, but it's not the trusted companion of our family picnics and 4th-of-July BBQ's... oh, it most certainly is not! I don't know what exactly they do to it. My best guess, having studied tomato-based condiments extensively while travelling, is this: they take regular, delicious, perfect ketchup then add extra sugar [gag], some vinegar [eh-urp (that's the sound of surppressed vomit)], and a touch of clove [tear]. Why God? Whhhyyy? So yeah, Singapore has the good stuff... a very important thing they've got going for them.

I couldn't live in Singapore:

8. Music. Live music to be more specific. I was reminded of this one during my recent conversation with Cooler-Than-He-Knows brother. I'd actually called Pullman to wish Dad a happy birthday, but he was out at exercise class (way-to-go Dad!) so I got to shoot the shit with my favorite person in the whole world. Sweet! [Be warned readers, he is now 16-years-old and will finish Driver's Ed. in less than a month! But to be fair, I haven't seen him actually drive... maybe he's a very careful, safe and responsible driver. I am, however, basing my warning on his excitable, goof-ball, fantastically-ADD personality, as well as the instances where...

He: "can I shift for you?"
Me: "do you remember how?"
He: "yeah, yeah... so what do I do again?"
Me: "shit. well, okay, we're in 2nd now... here, see the picture on the shift-knob?"
He: "oh, yeah... that's right."
Me: "okay, so you're going to shift to 3rd for me. see the picture?"
He: "yeah, 3rd."
Me: "it's the easiest one. just push the shifter up 'til it snaps into neutral...
He: "uh-huh."
Me: "...then straight forward into 3rd. okay?"
He: "cool. just tell me when." [clutching shift knob with both hands... such focus]
Me: "you ready? alright. you can shift... NOW."
He: "ah, shit. wait. hmph... there!"
Me: [jerked forward] "no man, that's 1st!"
He: "oh-shoot-sorry. how's... is... is the car okay?"
Me: "it's fine, it's fine." [quickly shift to 3rd] "wanna try again?"

He: "nooo... you'd better just drive."

...be warned people. The streets of Pullman are safe no longer.]

So, live music...

Me: "Hey"
He: "Hey"
Me: "Dad home?"
He: "Nah, out at exercise class."
Me: "Shit... well I'll call him back in an hour."
He: "Okay, bye."
Me: "No, no... wait man. What's new?"
He: "Oh... well I'm going to Sasquatch [music festival] this weekend."
Me: "That's sweet. Who are you going with?"
He: "Want to hear the line-up? You won't believe this line-up."
Me: "Okay, okay... the line-up then."
He: "Clap Your Hands Say Yeah..."
Me: "What?"

He: "Beck..."
Me: "Shut up!"
He: "Ben Harper..."
Me: "You're kidding?"
He: "The Flamming Lips..."
Me: "You lucky little..."
He: "Sufjan Stevens..."
Me: "Enough, enough!"
He: "Iron and Wine..."
Me: "You're killing me."
He: "The Decemberists..."
Me: "Seriously dude, that's enough..."
He: "Death Cab for Cutie, The Shins, and TV On The Radio, but I won't get there in time for TV On The Radio..."
Me: "Ohhh... that sucks. Really, you might as well not go."
He: "Shut up. But seriously... can you believe that line-up?"
Me: "Honestly. No, I can't. It's going to be amazing. You'll go insane."
He: "Yeah... I'm so stoked."

Me: ['stoked'? kids still say 'stoked'?] "So are you camping at the Gorge?"
He: "No, Joe's parents won't let us... we're staying in a motel in Moses Lake or something."
Me: "I guess... who cares? Right?"

He: "Yeah... it's going to kick so much ass."

Okay... so I'd have a tough time without the Sasquatches, Bumbershoots, Folk-Lifes... the shows at Neumo's, The Showbox, Crocodile, Tractor and Chop-Suey. Seattle's awesome!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yay! I am excited to see you soon. Wanna go see built to spill in two weeks? awesome, awesome! i swear to the gods.

TO said...

Yes! on Built to Spill. Want to see the Eels at the Showbox on the 4th? It's at 8pm... does it conflict with Wes' show?

Jess said...

Kinda. Sorry!
Jess