Thursday, May 25, 2006

Epiphany! (of the most trivial variety)

So I figured it out - I think. How I ended up in Singapore, that is. While I like to think of myself as a wonderfully spontaneous person, even acting the part many times, truth-be-told I actually have to put in effort to be spontaneous. It's a sad truth, it really is, but the fact is... most everything in my life is a carefully calculated decision. The seemingly random things I do, have, actually, a lot of thought behind them... Pros & Cons lists, time-lines, budgeting, plans, fall-back plans... just disgusting.

And so, when, after only 2-seconds consideration, I bought a plane ticket to a country I hadn't even considered visiting, I thought, "ha-Ha! You've done it old boy... this is living spontaneously!"

But it hit me, as Epiphanies do, when I least expected it. It hit me that while the conscious act of venturing to Singapore was spontaneous, the subconscious motives were anything but! Doh!

Subconscios motives? What the hell are you talking about?

Simple... home-sickness, or rather, travel-weariness.

Huh?

Well... it occufred to me that while I consciously told myself 'Singapore's an amazing SE Asian city (and it is), you must visit it," my subconscious was saying, "Yeah, yeah... Singapore. It's sooo modern, and clean, and has mass-transit. There are museums, and stores, and Western food. They speak English... it'll be such easy traveling... kind of like being home!" I think the fact that I'm nearing the end of my travels finally got the better of me... it happens, you know? You eat better, stay in slightly nicer accommodations, take the Air-Con bus over the local bus. So before I even realized it, I'd bought a plane ticket to Singapore.

And when exactly did this "Epiphany" come to me? Well, it occurred to me as I was seated in an I-max sized theater staring wide-eyed at X-MEN 3: The Last Stand, with my little mitts wrapped around a Banana-Cream Frappuccino from Starbucks. I'm so weak... I don't even like Starbucks... and X-MEN 3? Just pathetic.

2 comments:

Erin Popelka said...

Don!t even worry about XMEN three ... I treated myself to a bit of home in Brisbane and watched Failure to Launch - the chick flick with Sarah Jessica Parker. It was even a sunny day. At least you watched a good movie, and on IMAX too!

TO said...

Wa Ha... X-MEN 3 wasn't the greatest movie, but I'll take it over a chick flick with Sarah Jessica Parker. Thanks for relating Popo.