Sunday, March 19, 2006

Cascade Saddle - Part 1 of 3

As my old pal Delaney might say...

"Ohhh... stop it! New Zealand... really... you're making me blush... it's too much! Just stop... seriously!"

The Cascade Saddle - Dart Valley tramp was so absurdly spectacular, I'm breaking it up into 3 posts.

Day 1: 20km (12.4mi)

...gradual approach up the open pastures of the Matukituki River valley. Cows graze, unaware of the beautiful snow-capped peaks around them.

...relentless climb toward Cascade Saddle - gaining roughly 4,700ft in 2.5 miles! Frequent breaks to wipe away sweat, catch my breath, regain feeling in the legs, and gawk at the valley below.

...lose myself (figuratively) in the photogenic alpine meadows approaching the Saddle.

...pitch my tent on a glacial bench overlooking the Dart Glacier. Have the camp site all to myself.

...realize I saw only 1 other person on the trail all day... the best kind of solitude.

... get some company from a kea (large alpine parrot) while cooking dinner.

PICS: (top to bottom) Matukituki River Valley, the upper valley from Aspiring Hut, view down the Matukituki Valley from the Saddle, trail through alpine meadow, my little tent in front of the Dart Glacier, Kea x2, me cooking dinner.








No comments: