Friday, June 23, 2006

A Movie...

...to skip: Nacho Libre

It should've been a great movie... team up Jared Hess (Director, Napoleon Dynamite) and Jack Black as an aspiring Mexican wrestler. Such promise, and such a let down. Somehow the movie seemed to try too hard to attain the quirky odd-ball comedy of Napoleon Dynamite. It has its moments, but still. Maybe my expectations were too high.

...to rent instead: Thumbsucker

Yeah, yeah... it does have Keanu. But you know what... he's actually pretty good in this one, plays a bit-part, and really funny at times. The acting in this indie is spot-on. The kid playing the lead is incredible. It's an honest and quirky take on growing up, parenting, family oddities, suburbia, uncertainty... I'd also be curious to hear what someone who has been diagnosed with ADHD, and has experience with Ritalin, would have to say about this movie. I did a horrible job of selling the film, but it really is good.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean that it was "actually" good even though it had Keanu in it. I've never seen this movie or even heard of it but I'm sure it's amazing. Let's just go through thshort list of Keanu greats: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, The Devil's Advocate, Speed, The Matrix, and his all-time best work, Point Break. That one made me want to be a surfing FBI agent just like Johnny Utah.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, "Tune in Tomorrow" is the best Keanu movie ever. It features Peter Falk (of Columbo) as the must-have radio drama writer back in the days of the radio serials. Except that he is fervently anti-albanian. And apparently there's a lot of Albanians. What ensues is a story filled with Albanian jokes, which is my only criterion of greatness.

TO said...

Ah, Point Break... co-starring Patrick Swayze... an all time favorite of TNT's "Movies For Guys Who Like Movies". I'm sorry Chamby, but that movie is so bad. But then again... it's so bad, it's kind of good. Ahhh... I see what you're getting at.

NGB... haven't even heard of "Tune in Tomorrow". Great sell though... I know what I'm getting next time at the video store.