Tuesday, June 20, 2006

After-school special

My 16-year-old brother and I drive back toward town along Wawai Road some 5 miles outside Pullman.

"That was a cool spot..." I say, referring to the grain elevators where we'd talked and star-gazed for an hour.

"Yeah, my friends and I like to hangout or whatever. Sometimes we smoke, but usually we just talk...I haven't smoked for like 3 months though."

"That's good," I say, indifferent.

"When was the last time you smoked?" he asks.

"I really don't."

"But when was the last time you did?"

"Well, the first and only cigarette I smoked was in 7th grade. I think it was 7th grade. I stole a pack from Dad, and a couple of us... I think Spence was there... went to the Sunnyside School playground."

"And?"

"I nearly died of an asthma attack. I puked, as I recall. So yeah, that was the only cigarette I tried. My lungs are no good, asthma you know? And, I've never smoked pot."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I've never tried pot... inhaling smoke on purpose never sounded good to me."

"We should go smoke."

"No way man."

"Oh come on... it'll be so cool. I want to smoke out my older brother."

"Cool? maybe for you. Shit... I am the square older brother."

"Oh come on... just try it."

"Okay stop. This is creeping me out... What are you? Part of a bizzaro after-school special? My younger brother is trying to corrupt me."

"..."

"Never mind, but seriously... I'm good."

"Okay, okay... but if you want to try, just let me know."

"Enough!"

No comments: