Sunday, October 16, 2005

Don't call me Big Ern'

A stinkin’ 98!

Even in the Southern Hemisphere, I find I have no bowling skills to speak of… yet again failing to break the century mark.

Last night the crew of the Galley reserved both lanes of the McMurdo bowling alley. It’s the oldest in the Southern Hemisphere – built in 1961. The lanes are rutty and the pins have to be reset manually by a couple of guys working behind the scenes.


My work friends tried to comfort me with words of “those lane suck… they’ll totally throw off your game.” I never confessed that I was actually thinking to myself that the lanes had helped my game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The things you learn...I'd have never known that bowling was such a northern hemisphere thing...

Jess said...

ha, i can't even bowl a 98 on my cell phone, much less for real!
sounds like they plan mucho to keep y'all entertained down there, with the rugby, bowling, costume parties and all. Do people pack all those costumes from home or do they just keep a massive costume box stocked on the base?