Saturday, October 22, 2005

ayn rand

Jeff the Giant, a brilliant fellow who holds a Masters in Environmental Policy from a distinguished Ivy League school, spies me across the table during our morning break. He’s a DA (Dining Attendant) like me, and at 6’ 7” he towers over all of us.

Half laughing, mostly with his eyes, he says to me… “A friend of mine once told me that anyone who reads Ayn Rand automatically becomes an asshole for two-weeks afterward…”

I glance up and reply… “Huh? Make sure to slap me upside the head in a couple of weeks if that turns out to be the case.”


The Fountainhead has taken over every quiet moment I find. It’s fascinating and completely absorbing… Big Red (my parka) has a pocket permanently dedicated to the volume.

1 comment:

TO said...

Aimee!!!
You're the best. Thanks for the comment. How are things in Boulder? It's amazing how many folks I've met here who are from your neck of the woods.

I finished the Fountainhead a week and a half ago. I loved it, and there are a couple of passages that I dog-eared and must reread when I get it back from the friend I lent it to. Roark was speaking to Keating about the passion and satisfaction he feels about his work. How it’s not what his work does for others, or how others receive it, but that the act of novel creation is the root of his passion and purpose. It’s the satisfaction of creating and competence and realizing a potential. Someday, hopefully, I’ll find the work that, in and of itself, will be my passion and purpose.

For now, I wash dishes… HA!

Happy Holidays! TO