Friday, September 02, 2005

Flossing like it's going out of style

So I started this blog the other day, in large part, because I'm leaving my beloved Seattle in less than a month. Back in May I accepted a job offer to spend the Austral Summer months working in Antarctica. In order to fully qualify for the job and receive my plane tickets, I had to be poked and prodded by doctors and dentists like never before. Apparently the folks at the research station aren't fond of airlifting employees off the continent because of back pain or toothaches. Being the relatively healthy type, accustomed to a life with out proper insurance, I hadn't been to a doctor or dentist in probably 5 years.

The visit to the doctor was rather uneventful. The visit to the dentist was not. Apparently floss really has a purpose beyond making my gums bleed every couple of weeks when I stumble upon it amongst the toiletries in my drawer. Five fillings later, with enough metal in my mouth to trip airport security, I'm a believer in the power of floss.

Earlier today, I get a phone call from a soft-spoken young lady in the Medical Department of the Antarctica program. "Hello Mr. O'Connor," she says. "I wanted to let you know that Dr. Anderson reviewed your Dental Qualification packet and, looking at your X-rays, he believes that you have some decay on Distal #19." Distal #19? I think. "He would like you to visit your dentist and get that filling taken care of." Sure thing... I said. What a crock of shit... I thought.

Start flossing now my friends... floss everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ShyViolet said...

Floss! Yes, very important.