Monday, February 20, 2006

What About Next Season?

It's a question that floated around McMurdo Station like the inescapable smell of fuel, volcanic dust, and food cooking in the galley. Who's coming back next season? 99% of people answer... "Maybe. I don't know. We'll see after traveling." I've pretty much given the same answer for the last month...

"Yes, hopefully, but my chances aren't great. I'm applying for only 4 positions, and they are all pretty reachy. Everybody applies for these jobs. I'm only applying for jobs that'll get me outside away from station, or will teach me something new."

Which jobs? you may ask.

Well, they are...

1. Fuels Operator or "Fuelie"... handles all distribution and management of fuel. Refuels planes, building tanks, and field camp tanks.

2. Meteorological Technician or "MET Tech"... works at field camps (3 to 40 people). Trained as the camp weather-person; works as a general hand otherwise.

3. Carpentry or "Carp"... with my experience, likely only applying for a GA (general assistant) or "helper" positions. Does general carpentry work around station and occasionally at field camps.

4. Instrument Technician or "IT"... position is at the smallest USAP station - Palmer Station, on the Chilean side of the Antarctic Continent. Entails ordering, maintenance, trouble shooting, calibration and issuing of analytical instruments used by researchers.

Like I said... reachy at best. But, might as well aim high, right? If I get any of the jobs, next season will be my second and final season on the ICE... for a while anyway.

No comments: