Monday, February 27, 2006

Nirvana on Abel Tasman

The first of many tramps I hope to do, the Abel Tasman Coastal Track turns out to be - quite possibly - the most beautiful 4 days of my life. Roughly 53km along the NW coast of the South Island, I don't even know how to summarize my sprawling journal entries.

I'll go with this... Top 10 Highlights from Abel Tasman!

1). DA Johny... so funny, dry and easy-going. Couldn't have asked for a better hiking buddy. (PIC: start of Day-2 at Anchorage Bay)


2). 4 consecutive beautiful sunny days. I hiked the entire track in my sandals... sweet! (PICS: Day-1 approaching Stillwell Bay, lunch at Stillwell Bay, Johny points the way to Anchorage Bay)





3). On Day 2, stumbling into Shelton (one of my favorite people from the ICE) eating lunch on a beach at Bark Bay.
The three of us hiked together the rest of the way. (PIC: Start of Day-3 at Onetahuti Beach)

4). Beach camping... the prettiest campsites I've ever seen... (PIC: my tent at Totaranui Beach)

5). Having 2 frosty pints of beer with my lunch of colby cheese, pepperoni sticks and dried peaches on Day 3. We walked our smelly backpacking selves into the fancy Awaroa Lodge which was just off the trail.

6). Learning that the guide book was right... the 4th day is indeed the best day. (PIC: descending toward Wainui Bay on Day-4... can you find Shelton?)

7). Tidal Crossings... I've never walked through tidal flats. (PIC: Johny in Torrent Bay Tidal Crossing)

8). Turquoise water always within sight. (PIC: Day-2 from the trail)

9). Exploring a small gave with our headlamps on Onetahuti Beach. Unknowingly discovering glow worms!

10). Easy hitchhiking to Takaka... 20km from the end of the trail. Pizza and beer tasting so good. (PIC: tired and happy at Wainui Car Park)

You can click on the pictures for a larger view, or click HERE to see more pictures from our hike.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Tim!!! this all sounds so amazing!! Thanks for the postcard! Hailey loved it and took it to school for show and tell. How many people know a guy who went to Antarctica? We miss you so much and cannot wait to see you in June! Happy travels!!!

TO said...

But of course Ms. Palm Piiilot. Glad it made to young Hailey. Looking forward to seeing the three of you! Tim